GR 10 French Pyrenees – Ariege Stage – 7 days JULY I AUG I SEPT
The GR10, runs across the whole of the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean in its entirety covering around 850 km. The Ariege stage (roughly 110km) is renowned for being one of the most remote and runs across the Central and Western section of the Pyrenees. Whilst walking this section of the GR10 trail you will discover cultural heritage sites, delve into local agricultural life across the ages and encounter dramatic scenery spanning high plateau’s and soaring snow dusted peaks.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeTrekking
Activity Level Demanding
GR10 Ariege Stage Trek
Duration: 7 days, 6 nights accommodation in mountain refuges and gite d’etap or gite with pool
Accommodation: For 2 nights in Mountain Refuges and 4 nights in Chez Arran Gite accommodation or gite d’etap at the end of your day, booked for you before your arrival.
- Maps for you to find the way and detailed descriptions for each day.
- A local flora and fauna guide for the route.
- A flexible approach so if you are finding a section too tough we can make alternative plans for following days. We also provide a walkie talkie for a couple of days where there is no phone reception for pick up.
- Train reservation assistance.
- Evening meals when not staying at refuges. Chez Arran dinners cost 20 euros/head including wine or an equivalent will be provided at a local restaurant.
- Insurance, flights, food not specified, drinks, airport transfers, but we can arrange them for extra cost. Please note that you must have the appropriate insurance for your chosen activity. You must be covered for helicopter rescue, repatriation and medical costs.
- Next day packed lunches on refuge nights can be bought at the refuge for around 10€/person.
Arrive at Chez Arran
Arrive at Chez Arran , Ornolac Ussat les Bains and stay overnight in preparation for the beginning of your trek. We can arrange airport pick up from Toulouse Blagnac.
Aulus les Bains to Refuge Bassies
10km in approx. 5h30; climb 1185m; descend 280m.
Transfer Chez Arran – Aulus les Bains (1hr). From Aulus les Bains walk up Port de Saleix at 1794m. From Port de Saleix take in views are towards Auzat, Vicdessos and Bassiès.
The day finishes at Refuge de Bassiès (1650m).
Walk Refuge Bassiès (1650m) to Goulier: 18km approx. 7h00; climb 385m; descend 930m.
From the beautifully situated Bassiès Refuge (1650m), the GR10 passes a series of lakes at Bassiès and leading towards Auzat valley to Goulier via Olbier.
Pick up and transfer to Chez Arran or in gîte d’étape.
Walk Goulier to Miglos : 21 km - 6h30: + 1000m - 1280m
From Goulier, the GR10 heads East crossing several high mountain passes and passing mountain hamlets with fascinating architecture and a lazy ambience. You will see local cultural heritage including Roman churches, traditional orris, barns and high mountain farms. The remains of old stone walling and terraces are signs of a once busy agricultural area. You will pass through beuatiful mountain hamlets such as Lercoul, Siguer and Gestiès. From Goulier head to the Col de Esquerus, Col de Grail Lercoul and Siguer village. After this descend towards the village of Miglos and its famous Chateau. Stay in a gite d’etap or transfer back to Chez Arran.
Miglos to Refuge de Rhule: 16km approx. 5h30; climb 800m; descend 400m.
Transfer to Plateau de Beille and be greated by a gorgeous panorama. The GR10 trail continues East towards the Col des Finestres. As you make your way up to the Col de la Didorte (2093m) the ridge follows the Crete des Isards to the col de Terre Nègre and onto the nearby Refuge du Rulhe (2185m). The views from the refuge are stunning views and the location spectacular. You need to carry your personal gear for one night ( light sleeping bag).
Walk Refuge Rhule to Ax Les Thermes via Merens les Vals: 17km approx. 5h00; climb 780m; descend 1390m.
Follow the GR10 past two mountain lakes to arrive midafternoon at Merens les Vals from where there is a short transfer to Ax Les Thermes.
Accommodation is provided in a hotel in Ax-Les-Thermes or Chez Arran depending on your preference.
Depart by train Ax les Thermes – Toulouse Blagnac airport.
Optional 2 hour thermal spa visit at the Bains de Couloubret or last minute shopping in the morning.